I'm Running for Re-Election for General Vice President of CUPE BC!

At union night at the Whitecaps Game for Labour Day

Dear Friends,


Thank you for the opportunity to write to you about my intention to run for re-election as General Vice President at the upcoming CUPE BC convention. 

I am the President of CUPE 2950, representing 1500+ clerical, library and theatre workers at the University of British Columbia, and have been endorsed by my local and the CUPE Metro District Council. I’ve been on the CUPE BC Executive board for six years, first as Regional Vice President (Metro) and then the past four years as one of your General Vice Presidents.


My heart lies in social justice and fairness and nothing gets me more fired up then blatant disrespect for working people. Whether it is attending various rallies and protests, standing up for workers in community forums, affirming our rightful place in our professional organizations, pitching in at events, or being actively involved in the NDP, I am constantly advocating for CUPE members everywhere I go. 

I am seeking re-election:

To continue building and strengthening solidarity with the affiliate unions of the BC Federation of Labour. 




I am excited about the direction of the labour movement under the new BC Fed leadership team of Laird Cronk and Sussanne Skidmore (whose campaign I co-chaired). As one of your Officers of the BC Fed, I have participated in important strategy sessions to identify themes to execute tangible plans centering rank and file workers (not union brass) on issues like the labour code, employment standards, Workers’ Compensation, green jobs, public sector bargaining and reconciliation. 


To continue finding creative ways to build labour/community alliances.


I am proud that the hard work I have put into building the relationship over the past 6 years with the BC Library Association, is paying off. CUPE BC will be co-sponsoring the 2019 BCLA Summer Reading Club, the province's largest literacy program for children and families. This program not only celebrates the great work our members do in delivering these services; it also connects members from all sectors to reading and literacy. 


The winning team at the Burnaby Public Library's trivia night

I have also represented CUPE BC on the BC Labour Heritage Centre’s Board of Directors, at the BC Cabinet and First Nations Leadership Summit, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives Public Interest Finance Committee and at the Migrant Workers Centre AGM.



To continue finding ways to engage locals and members in political action. 


With CUPE local presidents and Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart
Political Action goes beyond elections. I want to increase the level of engagement from members and locals ensuring their voices and stories are heard at all levels of government. It’s easy to put forward policy positions but what makes a submission meaningful are the voices and stories of front line workers. Last year, I pulled together a focus group of library workers to submit feedback to government regarding the Poverty Reduction Strategy - they shared their experiences working and observing poverty in their communities at the same time, for some of them, experiencing poverty themselves.


At this year’s convention I am looking forward to meeting with CUPE members from around the province to discuss the future of our union and to continue to support the great work our locals do on behalf of all working people in BC.

In solidarity,

Karen


**This letter was mailed to all locals earlier this month**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections : 2017 CUPE National Convention

2019 BCNDP Convention - Women's Rights Committee Convention

Labor Notes Comes to Town: Vancouver Trouble Makers School!