How the heck did I end up here?

Who knew that that having a short conversation with a colleague at the circulation desk would change my life forever? That I would find an organization who valued my skills and would offer unlimited opportunities to grow personally and professionally. A place where what I had to say mattered. A place that made me feel like I mattered. I am nothing but encouraged and inspired by my sisters and brothers on our local's executive and mentored by the president and that's ignited a passion for social justice that's been dormant since my days as a university student. 


That conversation at the circ desk lead to becoming part of my local's health and safety committee, becoming a shop steward, being a delegate to numerous labour conventions, joining the local's executive board, becoming a labour instructor, an activist in the labour council, a member of the bargaining committee - all which has happened over the past 3 years. 


The point of this blog is to document the various things that happen in the Canadian labour movement from a rank-and-file member's point of view. After attending the Canadian Labour Congress' Winter School in Harrison Hot Springs last year, a good friend of mine jokingly nicknamed my union activism as "hot tubbing." Thus a blog was born!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections : 2017 CUPE National Convention

2019 BCNDP Convention - Women's Rights Committee Convention

Labor Notes Comes to Town: Vancouver Trouble Makers School!