March On Vancouver 2018

Scene from last years Women's March Seattle
Last year's Women's March in Seattle was such an incredible experience. We stayed at Trish's parent' house and headed on the ferry to Seattle from Bainbridge with 2500 marchers. We handed out 40 pussyhats for folks and even had the Governor of Washington on our sailing. We marched up the street only to be told by the cops that the park was at capacity and we had to stay put (in front of union station). It ended up being a great option because we watched all the people march by us - and because we had little Canadian flags stuck in our hats, every Canadian ex-pat stopped to talk to us or people would just start singing "O Canada" to us. It was awesome to go from Union Station to Seattle Centre with 175k people - bigger than any Super Bowl Parade. The solidarity of that day will always be etched in my memory. That was the last time I crossed the border. 


This year I stayed home to participate in March On Vancouver and I am so glad I did. I read Caitlin Moran's books last year for the first time. She's not only an advocate for libraries but a staunch feminist and hilarious to boot! I remembered a quote in her book How to Be A Woman:

"I want a zero tolerance policy on all this patriarchal bullshit."

Originally, for my sign, I wanted to draw the image of a uterus with a middle finger or a crossed out coat hanger but I can't draw so I decided I would use that quote instead. In the wake of the #metoo movement and the bravery of so many women coming forward, I thought it was appropriate. I also love the word "bullshit." Heh. 

It was cold and wet today but it didn't deter me nor thousands of Vancouverites to make our way downtown to Jack Poole Plaza to March On. I rounded the corner and the first person I see is my pal Sam, one of the organizers. Then I see the $10 Day Childcare folks and then I start running into all kinds of people. There were many unions there with their flags, community groups, women's groups, men and women and lots of children. I saw a youth, a girl, probably around 12 years old who had a sign that said "Without Hermione, Harry would have died in Book 1 (through 8)." So awesome. I saw my pals from the BCGEU as well as MLA Bowinn Ma. As I was walking around it was so great to keep running into friends and allies. 

I ventured towards the UNIFOR contingent and while there are serious political issues in the labour movement, it doesn't take away the fact that there are some kick ass, awesome, hard working activists out there. I am proud to stand with my sister Krista Lee, and it was nice to chat for a few minutes. 

It was great to see our brothers from CUPE, Drew and Alistair as well as Lani and Sheryl. We all stood together while the program started. During the indigenous greeting, an eagle circled above, over and over and over again until she was done.

After much criticism of last year's march, the event organizers put together an amazing group of diverse voices. We heard from Annie Ohana, a teacher from Surrey (yeah SD# 36 - Semi alumni here!) and her students. We heard from Rhiannon Bennett, Noor Fadel, Black Lives Matters, Democrats Abroad, Black Voices Vancouver, Sharon Gregson and so many more speakers who talked about violence against women, immigration, trafficking, intersectionality and workers' rights. A few highlights included Noor Fadel's powerful poem of forgiveness and resilience. Hailey's Heartless' provocative comments on the inclusion of trans women and sex workers in our movement. Calls to action for a more equitable and inclusive society. "The truth is on the rise!" 

One of the speakers challenged those of us with privilege to use it for good.

I've been thinking a lot about this over the past year or so. I think of the wise words of Angela Davis last year and bell hooks (I just read Feminism is for Everybody). They challenge us to think beyond "glass ceiling feminism" where wealthy white women of privilege are the voice of feminism. More important than ever, space needs to be created for people on margins. Invest, nurture, encourage, assist, campaign, fund and do whatever it is we can do to create space and step aside so that we start on the path to equity.  All of our institutions and organizations can and need to do better to reflect the beautiful diversity of BC.


I was so heartened to see my social media feeds full of images and posts about women's marches around the world. For me, I want to continue to be an ally, and find ways to ensure that in my circles, that we continue to start to dismantle the power structures that continue to reinforce the status quo. 

Until next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections : 2017 CUPE National Convention

2019 BCNDP Convention - Women's Rights Committee Convention

Labor Notes Comes to Town: Vancouver Trouble Makers School!